Polymath1 wasn’t truly huge because to make a contribution, you would have to understand the big picture.
- Draws comparison to open source software - where it can be much larger
- Instead of shooting for a final document - the goal should be a “Proof Discovery Tree (PDT)” - Proof discovery tree would have the proved theorem and the abandoned branches
- Typical contribution to the pdt - create new page and then go explain what you had done
- Linear nature both had advantages and disadvantages
- Michael Nielsen: “The solution to a problem arises as a result of small insights”
- Is it possible to have nobody with a global view?